Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Flashback: 1988


It's odd how some memories stick with you. I can actually remember in detail the process of doing this drawing. I remember that I was going to do a cartoon character (isn't that what most 15-16 year olds do). The odd thing was that as I was drawing the back and moving to the tail area, I no longer saw a cartoon, but a realistic bird. I added the shading and finally took a tissue and lightly rubbed it over the entire thing. I finished the drawing by taking my block eraser and cleaning up the outline of the bird. The final outcome was this drawing. Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Cate said...

I really like this one! I love the contours of the bird's body, and I think that the background complements the image perfectly. It reminds me of a vintage print! I wouldn't mind having something like this hanging on the wall in my house! Thanks for sharing your early talent!

Anonymous said...

Sweeeet!

Lou said...

Thanks, guys for stopping by. The picture is actually rather small. It may onlt fit in a 3x5 frame. Thanks for wanting to hang it.

Mac,

I'm glad you think it's sweet. Means a lot to me.

Erie's Argonaut said...

Thanks for your feedback. I really like all your artwork on this website. I really like that towel picture. Because I started seeing artwork on our local blogs (Erie, PA) I thought I'd pick up my paints and pencils that I haven't touched for 20 years. I love IllustrationFriday. It gives us a place to go and get encouragement to keep expressing ourselves through art. You are already really good at it. Great job, and I love that bird drawing, too.

Lou said...

Linda,

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to here you got your supplies back out. Illustration Friday certainly is a great way to get us to do something with our talents. Thanks for the compliments.

garth bruner said...

Yes, very nice illo. Great texture. The ONLY critique is the signature right under the head, quite distracting. Otherwise, nice job

Lou said...

garth,

Thanks for stopping by and your critique. I must say that I do agree with that. This was done when I was much younger and used my full name as my signature. Now, I just use initials or nothing at all.

Thanks again for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

beautiful! great shading!

Lou said...

Melanie,

Thanks.